Efo riro recipe
Let me tell you a quick story before I share the recipe. Mum and I had gone out to get a few things we needed for the house, but as usual, we ended up buying more things like vegetables and fishes. We then we had to buy smoked fish and pepper to cook it.
As we were driving to the house I told my mum I would love to cook the vegetables which she agreed, so the next morning I gathered my ingredients
- fish( smoked fish and crayfish)
- cowhide(ponmo) and locust beans ( iru)
- magii and salt
- palm oil, and onions.
Don’t forget to like our Facebook page by clicking this link
And follow us on Instagram at ryas_kitchen
Or by clicking this link https://instagram.com/ryas_kitchen?igshid=y062i03gbs2m
- Cut your vegetables including the branches( unlike ewedu, vegetable’s branches are included when cooking)
- Arrange them neatly then slice into few pieces
- Rinse in salty water i.e add salt to the water.
- then rinse the vegetables twice afterwards with clean water
- Don’t drain the water but instead pick the leaves out of the water
- In a bowl, divide your smoked fish into two equal halves
- Remove the bone
- Flake/ pieces the fish ( don’t make it too tiny so you can taste the fish when eating the vegetables)
- Slice your cowhide (ponmo) into pieces
- The inside of the ponmo may have to be scrubbed because of the dirt so I employ my iron sponge for this.
- Rinse the ponmo very well
- Blend your pepper( tomatoes can be added but the peppery effect Which I like may not be felt so I don’t use any but you can)
- Rinse your locust beans
- Place a pot on the stove and wait for it to dry
- using a kitchen spoon, measure four to five spoons of palm oil and add it
- Heat for 3 minute
- Pour your smoked fish
- Rinse you crayfish and add to it
- let it fry
- Remove the fried fish and pour your blended pepper into the oil
- Add iru/ locust beans
- Add your ponmo especially if it’s not yet boiled.
- Boil for 15minute
- If you have boiled your ponmo before cooking, add it now.
- Add your vegetables and DON’T ADD WATER
- Stir your vegetables continuously
- Add smoked fish that was fried earlier
- Add one to two cubes of magii depending on the quantity
- Note: if crayfish was used add one cube
- Taste to see if salt is still needed, then add a pinch
Serve your efo riro with Eba and any other swallow.